ELIGIBILITY AND ADMISSION INFORMATION
- To stay at the Ronald McDonald House, families must have a child (up to 21 years og age) receiving medical care at any of South Florida pediatric hospitals such as Holtz Children’s Hospital; Nicklaus Children’s Hospital; Baptist Hospital; Shala Foundation Children’s Hospital at Broward General Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, Plantation General Hospital and / or Holy Cross Hospital.
- Families must live an hour’s drive (or 50 miles) or more away from the hospital. A referral is required from the hospital or treatment facility.
- The House is walking distance from Holtz Children’s Hospital; 20 minutes to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital and 30 minutes to Baptist Hospital. It will take 40 minutes or more to drive to Broward or Palm Beach Counties.
- A referral is required by an authorized hospital staff person such as nurse, social worker or doctor in order to receive a room.
- Families will need to call the House the day before check in to confirm availability.
- Accommodations are offered to those family members involved in the daily care of the patient.
- All family members 18 years of age and older requesting to stay overnight, must agree to a criminal background screening. If you have already made a room request you will need to fill out a criminal background screening authorization, that can be sent via email. House Manager will communicate with family once referral is received.
- Rooms are assigned on a first come, first-served basis and one per family.
- We operate with a waiting list, and we never know when a child is going to be released from the hospital and the family will be ready to go home.
- The check in process usually takes approximately 30- 40 minutes and includes paperwork, an overview of our House policies followed by a tour of the House. After orientation, families are shown to their private room.
- The maximum length of stay is 30 consecutive days. After this, a new referral is needed for continuous lodging.
- Rooms must be slept in nightly to retain your stay.
- Although families are asked to make a donation of $20 per night while staying with us, no one is ever turned away due to inability to contribute.