ELIGIBILITY AND ADMISSION INFORMATION
- To stay at the Ronald McDonald House, families must have a child (up to 21 years og age) receiving medical care at any of South Florida pediatric hospitals such as Holtz Children’s Hospital; Nicklaus Children’s Hospital; Baptist Hospital; Shala Foundation Children’s Hospital at Broward General Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, Plantation General Hospital and / or Holy Cross Hospital.
- Families must live an hour’s drive (or 50 miles) or more away from the hospital. A referral is required from the hospital or treatment facility.
- The House is walking distance from Holtz Children’s Hospital; 20 minutes to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital and 30 minutes to Baptist Hospital. It will take 40 minutes or more to drive to Broward or Palm Beach Counties.
- A referral is required by an authorized hospital staff person such as nurse, social worker or doctor in order to receive a room.
- Families will need to call the House the day before check in to confirm availability.
- Accommodations are offered to those family members involved in the daily care of the patient.
- All family members 18 years of age and older requesting to stay overnight, must agree to a criminal background screening. If you have already made a room request you will need to fill out a criminal background screening authorization, that can be sent via email. House Manager will communicate with family once referral is received.
- Rooms are assigned on a first come, first-served basis and one per family.
- We operate with a waiting list, and we never know when a child is going to be released from the hospital and the family will be ready to go home.
- The check in process usually takes approximately 30- 40 minutes and includes paperwork, an overview of our House policies followed by a tour of the House. After orientation, families are shown to their private room.
- The maximum length of stay is 30 consecutive days. After this, a new referral is needed for continuous lodging.
- Rooms must be slept in nightly to retain your stay.
- Although families are asked to make a donation of $20 per night while staying with us, no one is ever turned away due to inability to contribute.
- Guest rooms are limited to 2 people with one full bed (due to fire restrictions).
- Two Family kitchen with six cooking stations. Each family has space for their own dry food in our community pantry, plus refrigerator and freezer baskets for cold storage. The Family Kitchen is fully stocked with cooking appliances and utensils.
- Community meals prepared and catered by volunteers, private companies and civic groups (activities varies per day)
- Family room at each floor with TV and other one with computers.
- Indoor play area for toddlers.
- Two laundry rooms with washers and dryers
- Patio with BBQ area.
- Families are taken once a week, to do grocery shopping, if necessary.
- Other fun activities are coordinated such as field trips, arts and crafts, special visits, gifts, etc.
- Families are responsible for cleaning their rooms, including washing linens, before checkout.
- Siblings are welcome as long as they are supervised by a parent or another adult family member. Child care is not provided.
- The campus at Ronald McDonald House is a smoke free facility. The following are not allowed on our property: cigarettes, e-cigarettes, vapes, hookahs, cigars and use of smokeless tobacco products including chewing tobacco and snuff.
- The House is staffed 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The safety of our families is of upmost importance to us. Each family is issued a key card for the front door, and all family members are asked to wear identifiable red arm bands. Cameras are located throughout the common areas of the campus. We use the services of a security guard for additional nighttime security.
- The House allows service animals as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Any person who has a physical condition that would affect the health of other guests, such as a cold, flu, chickenpox, should not visit.
Visitors are welcome between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. All visitors must sign in/out at the front desk. Unfortunately, children under the age of six, who are not siblings, are unable to visit.
For any questions, feel free to call our office and speak to one of our House Managers (305) 324-5683 or email firstname.lastname@example.org