The Ronald McDonald House Charities of South Florida (RMHC) “Lovin’ Coffee Cart” will provide morning smiles every week in the form of coffee, cookies, pastries, drinks and care kits to pediatric families and patients receiving treatment at Shalah Children’s Hospital at Broward Health Center. Each Monday morning starting at 9 a.m., volunteers will take their cheerful cart throughout the pediatric units and newborn intensive care unit providing a moment of respite for pediatric patients and families. A small gesture like this offers parents a break in their morning and gives them a gentle lift to keep them strong. Patients and their families can even look forward to a special surprise visit from Ronald McDonald himself once in a while.
The RMHC “Lovin’ Coffee Cart” will not only bring a touch of home to parents and siblings who are at the bedside of the pediatric patients, but also act as an extension of the house within the hospital to help spread awareness and further the mission of Ronald McDonald House Charities of South Florida. As pioneers of providing family-centered care, RMHC South Florida strives to be part of the solution in improving the lives of children and their families, by continuing to provide programs that strengthen families during difficult times.
The “Lovin’ Coffee Cart” is made possible every week through generous donations from local Broward County McDonald’s and volunteer support from Alpha Delta Pi of Florida Atlantic University. Additional volunteers and support are always welcome and encouraged.
VOLUNTEER QUALIFICATIONS: Must have strong people skills (bilingual a plus) and work well with children of all ages and diagnosis. Some awareness of child growth and development is preferred. Meets the physical requirements of the job and is able to walk and stand up to two to three hours per day, push a heavy cart, and bend and reach low for materials. Command of information about House and programs offered on site. Minimum age of 18 and six month commitment required. Volunteer must also complete the volunteer orientation at both RMH and BGMC.
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES (A shift may include):
- Follow all hospital and House rules and codes of conduct including personal health guidelines
- Maintain boundaries with families and children served
- Sorting, loading and transporting cart with items to Broward General Health Center (BGHC)
- Facilitation of simple craft and-or other activities with children and parents.
- Act as an ambassador of the House within the hospital.
- Maintain statistics on persons served.
- Communicate with RMH staff about response to items on the cart.
- Record Volunteer hours on proper forms for RMH and BGHC.
- Comply with BGMC and RMH Health and training requirements
- Wear specified identification, a RMH T-shirt and closed toed shoes while in the hospital.
ORIENTATION/TRAINING: Must complete the volunteer orientation at RMH and Broward General Medical Center. Additional orientation and training will be provided by the program supervisor at specified times to be determined on an individual basis. Must wear specified RMH identification at all time while in the House and BGMC identification while at the hospital.
For more information or to participate in this program, please contact: