Pop Tabs Program
Why do we save the pop tabs?
With everyone working together, our Pop Tab recycling program provides a wonderful way to raise funds for the Ronald McDonald House in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Every year the program generates between $8,000 and $10,000 to help cover operating costs. It is a simple way to enhance public awareness of Ronald McDoanld House and its mission, while supporting the charity.
Due to space, pop tabs are more efficient than the entire can and also most dense and purest form of aluminum within the can.
What happens to the pop tabs once Ronald McDonald House receives them?
When you bring your tabs to the house, in any kind of container, our volunteer empties the into large trash cans. Once we have collected approximately 500 pounds, our driver takes the tabs to the scrap metal dealer, who gives us money based on the weight and the current market value of aluminum.
The Ronald McDonald Houses of South Florida will receive between 55¢ to 65¢ per pound on aluminum tabs (1,200 pop tabs make a pound) delivered to our recycling partners.
- Aluminum tabs are cleaner and easier to store and transport than the rest of the can.
- There are about 1,200 pull tabs in a pound.
- There are approximately 63,360 pull tabs (placed end to end) in a mile.
- The Sears Tower is 1,454 feet tall…or 17,448 pull tabs tall.
- It takes approximately 29 pounds of pull tabs to cover the cost of a one night stay for a family.
- It takes approximately 120 pounds of pull tabs to equal the cost of one day’s electricity for the House.
- It takes approximately 6,500 pounds of pull tabs to equal the cost of one day’s operating expenses for both Houses.
- In 2012 the Ronald McDonald Houses of Miami and Fort Lauderdale raised almost $6,000 (that was over 17.3 million tabs)
Where can I take the pop tabs?
Ronald McDonald House Miami
1145 NW 14 Terrace,Miami FL 333136
Ronald McDonald House of Fort Lauderdale
15 S.E. 15th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Or at your closet McDonald\’s restaurant. Call the restaurant ahead of time. Please make sure one of the Houses acknowledge your donation.
Get your neighbors, friends, clubs and family involved. Every time you open a can, remember that pop tabs can support the Ronald McDonald House. Start Collecting and have fun with it!